Monday, July 22, 2019

Niko Neko Matcha @ Lorong Maarof, Bangsar







Decided to place all the photos first before typing my wordy blogpost simply because I think all the minimalist white photos look better together.

Anyway, growing up since young, I am both a tea and coffee lover. The main reason why I suffer from acid reflux is because I used to drink green tea after school on an empty stomach. From this episode, I always made sure to eat something first before drinking green tea.

A few months ago, my sister who is based in Singapore suggested me to visit HVALA Singapore in CHIJMES, a green tea specialty shop. I fell in love with that place due to the minimalist zen vibes and yummy green tea latte. I went back to that place two days in a row. One of my friends told me that I should try the green tea specialty cafe in Malaysia too. They actually are the matcha powder distributor to many other cafes in Malaysia.

I've been seeing photos of Niko Neko Matcha on the gram, and what caught my attention is Niko the Odd, a white cat with different eye color. It totally fit into the minimalist theme of the cafe. Unfortunately, during my visit, Niko the neko wasn't around.

Went there on a weekday last week, and it was sort of easy to get a parking as Niko Neko Matcha is located at the quieter side of Bangsar, which is the shoplots opposite the popular Telawi McDonalds. Niko Neko Matcha is located on the first floor. Upon entering the premises for the first time, you will feel quite confused because you enter into a shop full of plants. I learnt that Niko Neko Matcha shares a shoplot with Taman Hati, selling succulents and house plants and then I was led to a white door with Niko Neko Matcha's logo on it. 

I told the barista that I was there for the first time and he asked me on my preference of drinks. I told him I wanted an iced green tea latte, and he explained to me on the variety of green tea available, Ren Matcha, Yuri Matcha and Kiku Matcha. The difference between the three is that of the bitterness and umami profile and it totally depends on your preference. I went with the Kiku Matcha green tea latte (RM12) which was in between, both bitter and have a balanced umami creamy flavour and the drink was so good.

From the menu, it is mainly drinks and they serve the pastry of the day. From their instagram, I've seen green tea croissants but unfortunately on the day I went there it was not available. Would definitely preferred if there were more choices of food available at that place.

Seating is quite limited, only 3 tables available (perfect if you go 2-4 people), but when I went there on a weekday, it was pretty quiet. Was able to sit, enjoy my drink and the minimalist setting of the place. But if there's no space to sit, it's okay to go outside and sit in the leafy green compound of Taman Hati as well.

As seen above, Niko Neko also have their matcha and hojicha powder on display as well as equipment needed to make yummy matcha such as green tea whisk and stirrer.

From what I know, Niko Neko is quite responsive to photos tagged on instagram and if you write a review on their Facebook and show it to them, you could receive your next drink at 50% off. Would totally revisit this place, not just for the discount ;) but for more yummy matcha drinks and hopefully
catch Niko this time!

Niko Neko Matcha
82A, Lorong Maarof, Bangsar Park Kuala Lumpur

Opening Hours:
Tuesdays to Sundays: 12pm to 7pm
Closed on Mondays

Website:

Instagram:

Facebook:
   

No comments:

Post a Comment